THIS week’s Nostalgia takes a look at the history of Ysgol Emmanuel, a primary school in Rhyl.

The school was opened on in February 1865, and was originally known as the Rhyl Emmanuel British School.

The Vale Road site of the original school was donated by W.S. Conwy and received a government grant and subscriptions to become established.

There were 80 pupils on the first day - by the first anniversary there were 150.

MORE: Journal photo gallery of Rhyl and St Asaph nostalgia

George Nuttall became headteacher in 1884, serving in the role for 35 years.

In April 1931 the school was transferred to new buildings at Victoria Road (its current location) and increased its numbers with children being transferred from several other schools.

The New Emmanuel School officially opened in June 1931, with more than 350 students.

The original Vale Road building of Rhyl Emmanuel British School was used during WWII and up to the 1950s as a mother and baby clinic.

MORE: The plaque marking Holiday on the Buses' Prestatyn filming

At some stage the school was renamed again as Emmanuel Modern Secondary School.

The secondary modern school appears to have existed until 1956, when pupils were given the option to attend Rhyl County School (which became Rhyl Grammar School and finally Rhyl High School) or Glyndwr Modern Secondary School (if they did not pass the 11+).

Ysgol Emmanuel still serves the people of Rhyl today, and has won awards for health and its environmental work.