CPD Y Rhyl 1879’s hopes of being crowned champions of the Ardal North West League suffered a blow as they lost 4-0 at home by fellow title contenders Denbigh Town on Saturday (April 15).

The victory for Denbigh at Belle Vue put Dewi Llion Jones' side in the box seat for the title, with 11 more points needed from their five games left to clinch it.

Rhyl have been top for most of the season, but were no match for a Denbigh side that stuck to a rigid game plan and goals came from Jason Foulkes, Craig Pritchard, Paul Fleming and Jake Walker.

After overcoming Rhyl’s early pressure, Denbigh took the lead after 10 minutes.


Late winner sees Bangor edge out Rhyl in top-of-the-league clash

Ben Lockley's quick throw found Jason Foulkes, who took a touch to control and, from the edge of the box, he sent a superb strike into the top corner of the net to leave Rhyl keeper Andy Wilmot with no chance.

With more possession, Town created further chances as Nathan Brown and Matthew Worrall fired over the top.

At the other end, Denbigh keeper Aaron Jones came quickly off his line to make a save from close range from Macauley Taylor.

Still with a 1-0 lead, Denbigh came out for the second half with a determined attitude to increase the lead.

They looked to utilise a more direct game and from Brown's corner, Paul Fleming sent a 49th minute header just wide of the target.

A minute later and Craig Pritchard scored Town’s second.

Pritchard won the ball cleanly in a solid tackle deep inside the Rhyl half, went forward and settled himself before sending a cross goal shot off the outside of his right foot low into the left hand corner of the net.

The vociferous Denbigh supporters behind the goal went wild with delight as Town’s lead doubled.

It was effectively game over midway through the second half when Denbigh grabbed their third goal.

Good work from Matthew Worrall and Jason Foulkes set up captain Paul Fleming, who broke between two defenders to calmly slot home.

At the other end, Aaron Jones made a great double save to keep his clean sheet intact as Rhyl looked unsuccessfully for ways to claw a goal back.

On 88 minutes, Denbigh grabbed goal number four.

Jake Walker picked the ball up just inside the penalty area to let fly an absolute rocket which flew past Wilmot.

It was Rhyl’s second loss in a week, and saw them fell to second place.

Next up for Rhyl is their final game of the season, at home to Nantlle Vale on Saturday (April 22), kicking off at 2.30pm.