CPD Bangor 1876 took the spoils in their rearranged game against CPD Y Rhyl 1879, which dented the visitors’ hopes of being crowned Ardal Northern League champions.

In Saturday (April 8)’s early kick-off at the Nantporth stadium, Bangor, in second place, took the lead inside just 27 seconds.

Rhyl kicked off but instantly found themselves under pressure, as a long pass forward from Les Davies in defence found Jamie Petrie running down the right.

He was able to shoot across goal, and the ball hit the far post and went in, giving Bangor the lead.


Red cards and mass brawl at Rhyl-Bangor match prompts investigation

Rhyl Journal: Rhyl fans at BangorRhyl fans at Bangor (Image: Phil Jones)

The hosts almost doubled their lead minutes later when winger Liam Morris broke free down the left; with his shot crossing goalmouth, it struck both posts and stayed out.

Rhyl goalkeeper Luke Wilmot then showed good reactions to save a close-range Corrig McGonigle shot.

The Lilywhites would weather the early pressure and looked more composed after Gareth Thomas made a tactical change midway through the half.

This paid off after a spell of pressure on the Bangor defence; with 10 minutes of the half remaining, James Stead picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box.

As he drove into the box, he was brought down by Joe Culshaw and the referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty.

Jack Higgins would step up and confidently send Huw Shaw the wrong way to level the score.

But Bangor regained the lead late on as Liam Morris sent in a curling shot from the right that took a deflection and looked to be going out for a corner.

Yet McGonigle got the slightest of touches and deflected the ball past Wilmot and into the net.

The game was delayed following the goal as spectators behind the goal broke the barrier surrounding the pitch and several were stuck in the mangled fence.

Rhyl went on in search of a late equaliser, but it was not to be, and the game ended with only their third defeat of the season, but the second to one of their biggest rivals.

With two games remaining, next up for Rhyl will be the other team in this three-horse title race, Denbigh Town, as they visit Belle Vue on Saturday (April 15, kick-off 2.30pm).