TRIBUTES have been paid to a former footballer from Rhyl who represented teams in both Conwy and Denbighshire.

John Winder, formerly of Colwyn Bay FC, Rhyl, Penmaenmawr, Prestatyn and Llandudno Swifts, died recently at the age of 80.

A wing-half, John, along with his team-mate Idris Pryce, was among a crowd of more than 900 at Colwyn Bay’s game against Chorley at Llanelian Road in January 2006 to mark the club’s 125th anniversary.

John also took on the role of player-manager during his time at Colwyn Bay.

Colwyn Bay FC sent condolences on behalf of the club to John’s family and friends.

Rhyl Journal: The 1964-65 Colwyn Bay team which won the Welsh League North (John Winder third from left in back row)The 1964-65 Colwyn Bay team which won the Welsh League North (John Winder third from left in back row) (Image: Colwyn Bay FC)


Meliden pub with ‘good sea views’ placed on the market

Mobile speed cameras in Denbighshire, Conwy, Gwynedd and Anglesey

NOSTALGIA: The plaque marking Holiday on the Buses' Prestatyn filming

Arthur Holden, of Colwyn Bay FC, said: “John, from Rhyl, was a significant figure in the history of Colwyn Bay through the 1960s, and as such, his football career is most definitely worth noting.

“As a Rhyl youth player and a youth international John had a spell at Stoke City, before playing for Rhyl’s Welsh League team from 1961 to 1963 before he joined Colwyn Bay, going on to win the Welsh League title in 1965.

“When the club had its financial crash in 1966, John took over as player-manager from Ken Jones in December 1966.

“Most people expected the club to fold, but John made some very difficult decisions in order to reduce the club’s debts and outgoings.

“As such, he gave first team starts to many talented local young footballers such as Gordon Roberts, John Carmichael, David Williams, Ian Livings, Peter Suddaby, Mark Duncalf and many more.

“Under John, the team could have had a disastrous season, but finished in a comfortable mid table spot and with debts already reduced.

“John went on to play for Penmaenmawr for the 1967-68 season, then returned to Colwyn Bay, before moving on to Prestatyn in the early ‘70s, then Llandudno Swifts, where he played until the mid-70s.”