RHYL manager Eddie Maurice-Jones was thrilled with the contribution of midfield duo Gethin Maxwell and Dave MacIntyre following their 2-0 home win over Llangefni Town.

The Lilywhites reached the JD Welsh Cup second round with a professional display against their JD Cymru North rivals and extend their exceptional run of recent results, but they face a stern test of their credentials this Saturday during their home encounter against Colwyn Bay (2.30pm).

Maurice-Jones, said: “I was a good, solid performance from everyone and if we’d had a little more composure late on I feel we could have scored even more.

“Saying that, it is an encouraging sign and a clean sheet, and we are as good as any team when we make the most of space in the pockets and get into good positions.

“We used the ball very well and looked dangerous. It’s good to see Macca (Dave MacIntyre) on the scoresheet as he is unselfish and wants the club to do well.

“He’s a big rock in the middle and we would miss him a lot if he was not available. Him and Gethin (Maxwell) have formed a good relationship in the middle of the park and the back four have taken a liking to having them in front and protecting, so it all bodes well going forward.”

Rhyl secured their place in the 2nd round of the JD Welsh Cup with a comfortable 2-0 victory against Llangefni Town. The Lilywhites made one change from their winning line up last week at Gresford Athletic with Aaron Hassall returning to the starting XI with James Murphy on the bench.

After Dan Sullivan and Arek Piskorski missed chances for the home side early on, they finally broke the deadlock on 19 minutes when a corner fell to the feet of MacIntyre, who steered a chance into the net from nine yards.

The Lilies’ spurned a number of other chances throughout the first period, but crucially doubled their advantage just before the interval when Sullivan turned in a Cai Owen cross for his second goal in as many games.

Piskorski and Sam Molyneux forced Cefni stopper Tyler French into a pair of smart stops following the break, and Keighan Jones had to be at his best to deny Cefni a certain goal with 84 on the clock.

The excellent French pulled off another marvellous save to deny James Murphy on 88 minutes, which proved to be the final chance of note in the tie.