PRESTATYN Town got their JD Cymru North title charge off to the best possible start with a 1-0 home win over Guilsfield.

The Seasiders’ were made to work hard by a disciplined Guils’ outfit before eventually emerging with three points, and they will look to extend their positive start to the campaign this Friday when Town welcome newly promoted Corwen to the Motion Finance Stadium.

Former Prestatyn goalkeeper Mike Jones was in tremendous form during the opening exchanges to deny Ian Griffiths, Jack Kenny and Jordan Davies within the opening 12 minutes.

Jones had to be at his very best to deny Griffiths once again on 14 minutes after superb link-up play between Alex Jones and Kenny, with Guils’ skipper Sam Litchfield having a chance thwarted by Kai Edwards with 21 on the clock.

The lively Davies tested Jones once again on 28 minutes but found the visiting custodian was up to the challenge once again to divert the chance, with Dave Hayes heading the resulting corner over the bar.

Hayes produced a superb block on the half hour mark to deny the away side a certain goal, but Town got a golden chance to break the deadlock in first half stoppage time when they were awarded a penalty after Kenny was felled in the box.

Rob Hughes held his nerve to bury the spot kick and give the hosts a slender lead at the interval.

After the break saw the visitors come out with an increased tempo and they went close on 55 minutes but were denied by another block from Edwards.

The home side weathered the storm and almost doubled their tally a minutes before the hour mark when Hughes unleashed an effort that was saved by the outstanding Jones, and Kenny’s goalbound effort was hacked off the line with 70 gone.

Another chance went begging for Town on 75 minutes when Davies flashed an effort narrowly wide, but fortunately these missed opportunities did not have an affect on the overall outcome as the Seasiders’ saw out the game to seal the win despite some intense pressure from the visitors in the closing stages.