PRESTATYN Town’s hopes of a top six Huws Gray Alliance finish were dealt a blow as they were beaten 3-2 at Guilsfield.

The Seasiders put up a valiant effort during their trip to one of the more difficult places to get a result in the second tier before eventually succumbing to defeat in their penultimate fixture, and Neil Gibson’s men will look to end another eventful season on a high when they take the field for the final time this term at Flint Town United on April 20.

The away side had a golden chance to go ahead early on when Danny Davies was put through on goal after two minutes, but he failed to find the target under pressure and the chance was gone.

Skipper Alex Jones was the next to go close when he saw his goal-bound header blocked by a Guils’ defender, and the visitors fell behind soon after when Jake Cook took advantage of some space and finished well for the home side following their first meaningful attack.

This provoked a strong response from the Seasiders, who levelled matters midway through the half when Davies met a Ben Maher cross on 25 minutes to smash home the equaliser, but their joy was short-lived as the hosts hit back almost instantly thanks to a Robbie James effort from a long throw with 28 on the clock.

The second period began with midfielder Warren Adam making the home custodian work with a powerful long-range effort on 48 minutes, and Maher flashed a free-kick wide with the keeper beaten a minute later.

They did not have to wait much longer in their pursuit of another equaliser, and Maher was once again the instigator when he teed up James Jones for a powerful header on 65 to get them back into the contest.

A fracas resulted in the home side going down to ten man and Guils’ boss Nathan Leonard sent to the stands, but they were awarded a penalty on 73 minutes when Davies handballed in the area, which resulted in a second bookable offence.

Chris Cathrall held his nerve from the spot to give the hosts a third lead, and Town were unable to find another and fell to defeat.