RHYL director of football Eddie Maurice-Jones was left rueing a host of defensive errors as his side fell to a 4-3 loss at derby rivals Bangor City.

The Lilywhites had nothing to show for their efforts despite controlling large parts of the contest on in their final Huws Gray Alliance away fixture of the campaign, and they remain in fifth spot as they return to the Educate Resource Stadium this week against Buckley Town on Tuesday (7.45pm) and Denbigh Town on Friday (7.30pm).

Maurice-Jones, said: “It was a poor performance and the boys know it and they are feeling it.

“We started off quite lively and did okay, but we made an awful mistake and to be fair we were punished by every mistake throughout the game and we didn’t react or recover.

“The first half we were very disjointed, couldn’t find any rhythm and it was a poor display and not in keeping with the standards we are trying to set.

“The lads had a hammering at half time and we had to throw people forward to try and get back into the game which brought a slight reaction, but we cannot keep gifting quality teams chances and then try and bounce back when we go a goal down if we want to go higher.

“The supporters came a long way in their number and saw a poor performance, and they still cheered us off at the end which is why the lads are hurting as it’s a massive game for them.”]

Things began badly for the visitors and they fell behind on 14 minutes when Jacob Farleigh drilled a superb half volley into the net after latching on to a long throw, and City doubled their advantage midway through the half courtesy of a sensational long-range effort from Robbie Parry with 23 gone.

The Lilies’ defensive frailties were once again evident on 34 minutes when young full-back Tom Reilly carried the ball into the area unchallenged before finding the corner, but the away side did manage to keep their hopes alive just before the break when Sam Molyneux hit the target.

Parry notched his second of the evening after the break when he converted from the spot on the hour mark, but this was met by a swift response in the form of a James Murphy thunderbolt on 68 minutes.

A nervy ending to proceedings was ensured when Murphy unleashed another ferocious effort into the top corner after 84 minutes, but the Lilywhites were unable to find a crucial leveller in the closing stages and fell to defeat.