RHYL bounced back from their derby defeat to Prestatyn Town with a comfortable 2-0 home success over Ruthin Town.

The Lilywhites produced a resolute display to emerge with three points and secure the double over their Denbighshire rivals, and they return to action this Saturday against Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochant at the Educate Resource Stadium.

Director of football Eddie Maurice-Jones, said: “Getting back to winning ways was the most important thing after the poor performance on Boxing Day It wasn’t a great performance but it is a clean sheet and we move on.

“Ruthin didn’t let go and continued to put the pressure on, but I thought it was a solid performance from our back four. We didn’t really create that much besides the two goals so defensively we needed to be on point and we were.

“Overall I am pleased with how things have gone this season. When we first started it was a new squad and things didn’t gel as quickly as we’d have liked, so we are still kicking ourselves really in terms of our earlier performances and results we should have got.

“To come through that with everything going against you was very pleasing and we are still in the top five. We have come a long way but there are plenty of things we can still improve on and we are still missing Mike (Pritchard) who is critical to they way we want to play.”

Lilies’ stopper Rory Crowther had to be at his best to deny Ryan Jones’ free-kick early on, and they managed to break the deadlock after just 12 minutes when talented forward James Murphy finished well after linking up superbly with Aaron Hassall.

Murphy and Matthew Cook both missed chances immediately following the goal, but the home side doubled their tally on 33 minutes when defender Reece Fairhurst diverted a Cook effort past Ryan Goldston.

The hosts almost netted a third just before the break when a Fairhurst effort was hacked off the line, with Town veteran Kevin Evans reacting brilliantly to keep out a Ben Nash strike during a goalmouth scramble.

After the break saw the away side almost get back into the game on 70 minutes when a Tom Dyer’s curling effort forced Crowther into a save, and the Lilywhites saw out the remainder of the game in comfortable fashion to secure the win.