PRESTATYN Town picked up their first point of the Huws Gray Alliance campaign with a hard-fought 1-1 derby draw with coastal rivals Rhyl.

More than 650 at the Motion Finance Stadium witnessed an entertaining clash between the stories clubs with a rousing second half display from the Seasiders ensuring that both sides went home with a share of the spoils.

Ryan Turner and Leon Field’s men will look to build on their positive performance when they travel to Holywell Town on Saturday, with the Lilywhites hosting Penrhyncoch on Friday evening at the Belle Vue Stadium.

A lively start from both sides saw Alex Jones spurn two good opportunities for the home side early on, and they were made to pay for their lack of conviction in front of goal after 20 minutes when a bursting run by Kristian Pierce opened up the Town rearguard, and the talented forward fed Matty Worrall who made no mistake with the finish.

Jones was in the thick of things yet again soon after when his looping header narrowly skimmed the crossbar, whilst at the other end a poor clearance from defender Sam Kersh presented a chance to Mike Pritchard, who saw his effort smartly saved by Ryan Woods.

After the interval saw the hosts come out with a renewed sense of purpose, putting plenty of pressure on the Lilies back-line in the opening exchanges with Jack Hoult’s free-kick causing a goalmouth scramble that the visitors eventually cleared.

Former Seasider James Stead was next to go close for the away side when his deal ball was kept out brilliantly by Woods, and Worrall’s rebounded header found the net but the effort was chalked off for offside.

Returning Town hearo Dave Hayes was guilty of missing a great chance midway through the half when his half volley flew agonisingly wide, with Oli Buckley and Pierce going close for Eddie Maurice-Jones’ men as space began to open up for both sides.

The home side finally got their reward for an improved second period when Jones finally made the most of an opportunity when he headed past Rory Crowther on 81 minutes.

Stead marked his return to his old club with a red card in stoppage time following a robust challenge, but despite being under intense pressure the Lilies held firm for a point.