CPD Y Rhyl 1879 followed up their last-minute victory against Hawarden Rangers with a 5-0 away thumping of struggling Saltney Town on Saturday (February 3).

The Lilywhites were ahead from the ninth minute, when new addition Callum Parry netted his first for the club and his 14th of the season.

A wonderful through ball by captain Reece Fairhurst gave Parry the opportunity and he took it with ease.

It would be a midfielder who would get the second, after a long ball sent over to the right-hand goal line by Sion Williams was kept alive by Chris Bennett.


Leaders Rhyl leave it late to nick it at Hawarden Rangers

Having persevered to keep the ball in play, he was able to find Dan Sim free in front on goal, who slotted in his fourth of the season to double Rhyl’s lead.

On 57 minutes, more Rhyl pressure finally broke Saltney’s resolve, after a late tackle out on the left was deemed enough by the referee to award the visitors a free kick.

New signing Leigh Craven bent the ball into the empty left side to net on his debut and put Rhyl three ahead.

Referee Neil Bayliss had to stop the game with 20 minutes to go, after Parry, who had dominated all of his aerial duals, was pushed backward while in the air.

As he fell backwards, he lost his footing and landed heavily against the planted foot of Ricky Wilson, his knee appeared to hyperextend and the midfielder gave a piercing scream.

Ater several minutes of the treatment by the Saltney coach and Lilywhites physio Edin George, Wilson was carried to the dugout amid a round of applause by the traveling Rhyl fans.

The fourth Lilywhites goal came in the 75th minute, courtesy of a well-worked move that had started many passes earlier.

Sam Ashton spotted Sion Williams in space on the left, and he was able to pick his way through the crowded box and put the game well beyond the home side’s reach with a finish in to the top corner.

Another great sequence of play from back to front saw Chris Bennett with the ball free on the right, who was able to beat his man a gain a yard of space.

He then delivered a wonderful ball onto the head of Jonny Taylor, who was never going to miss from in front of goal.

Next up, Rhyl travel to the Morfa Stadium on Friday night (February 9) to play against Conwy Borough in a 7.30pm kick-off.