LEAGUE champions CPD Y Rhyl 1879 are just one game away from completing an unbeaten season after two emphatic wins in a week.

Rhuddlan Town were the visitors to Belle Vue in the Wednesday evening fixture, with the Lilywhites looking to avoid any complacency due to having the league title already sewn up.

There were no signs of complacency as the Lilywhites found the net six times without reply, courtesy of goals from Jordan Worthington (two), Carl Lamb, Macauley Taylor (two) and Eamon Buhalfaia.

After the 6-0 home win, the league presentation then followed as North Wales Coast Football Association (NWCFA) chairman Brian Roberts handed the league trophy to club captain Reece Fairhurst.


CPD Y Rhyl 1879 clinch league title in first season since re-forming

Fairhurst lifted the trophy high in the air as the Lilywhites faithful celebrated a phenomenal season, which sees the club progress to tier three of Welsh football following their accreditation award which was also communicated on the same day.

Gareth Thomas then took his team of league and cup champions to the Recreation Ground in Llanfairfechan looking to maintain a run of form that ensures they are unbeaten in 24 league matches in the NWCFA East League Premier Division.

Thomas again opted to ring the changes and utilise the full squad, with Buhalfaia and Gerwyn Roberts making the starting eleven.

Kieran Ellis was the first to make his mark on the game following a spell on the sidelines with a thigh injury.

Ellis found the net in just the seventh minute after a prolonged period of pressure from the away side.

Just nine minutes later, it was youngster Leon Atkins who beat the offside trap to fire home a thunderous strike into the top let corner.

With 32 minutes played, it was Ellis again who doubled his tally with a great dinked finish past the home goalkeeper.

With 41 minutes played, it was then Atkins who secured his brace with a fine strike from distance finding the bottom left corner, ending any chance of a home win with the Llanfairfechan keeper rooted to the spot, unable to stop the 4-0 scoreline.

Just five minutes later, in first half added time, it was ever-industrious midfielder Jordan Worthington who was next to find the net, ensuring the Lilywhites went into the break five goals to the good.

The away side started the second half as they finished the first when Ellis latched onto an excellent through ball, finding the top right corner with a delightful finish from the edge of the box.

Ellis secured his hat-trick and his 26th goal of the season in all competitions.

With just 10 minutes to play it was Atkins who became the second player to secure a hat-trick in the fixture, forcing the ball over the line and taking the game to 7-0.

It was then the turn of wing back Chris Bennett to find the net with a fabulous right-footed strike securing the eighth goal of the game.

The 8-0 win ensured the unbeaten league run continues to 25 in the league with just one fixture left to play.

Thomas added after the game: “A clean sheet and eight goals – (it was) pleasing to see some of the lads who haven’t played much football got to start today.

“One more fixture to play as we travel to Glan Conwy on Thursday and look to finish the league season unbeaten.”