A MAN from Rhyl has been jailed after he became abusive and threatening to train guards having not purchased a rail ticket.

Christopher Jones, 33, of John Street, was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment at Caernarfon Crown Court today (October 27).

He had previously admitted three counts of threatening behaviour, and one charge of possessing an offensive weapon in public.


‘Forgotten’ Dyserth residents urge help after floods devastate village

Rhyl Victorian townhouses set to become new apartments

Prosecuting, Richard Edwards told the court that, at about 12pm on February 18, Jones was travelling on an Arriva Trains Wales train between Llandudno and Colwyn Bay.

When train guard Jack Walker asked Jones to show him his ticket, the defendant said he did not have one, nor did he have any money to buy one.

Mr Walker told Jones he had to leave the train at Colwyn Bay railway station, its next stop, which led him to become “abusive,” and accuse the train guard of calling him a “tramp”.

He followed Mr Walker down the train carriage and threatened to “knock him out”.

David Connor, an off-duty train guard who was also on board, told Jones that Mr Walker was trying to do his job, before the defendant pulled a screwdriver out of his pocket.

Jones, who was also holding a pint glass with some lager in it, then became abusive to Mr Connor.

As the train arrived at Colwyn Bay, another member of staff, Daniel Hennell, asked Jones to leave the train, but he lost his temper and threw the pint glass on to the floor, smashing it.

After being escorted on to a platform at the railway station, Jones began goading other passengers who were still on the train.

A scuffle then ensued on the platform after these passengers got off the train to confront him.

Body-worn footage of the incident was shown in court; Jones, appearing via videolink from HMP Berwyn where he had been remanded, had his head in his hands as it was played.

The entire incident last roughly 45 minutes before Jones was arrested; he gave no comment in his police interview.

Defending Jones, who had 14 previous convictions for 24 offences, Sarah Yates said he is “very ashamed”, “apologetic” and “remorseful” for his actions.

Ms Yates said Jones endured a “difficult childhood” and suffers from mental health difficulties, using alcohol as a “crutch” all the while.

But, she said, “he is taking steps to try to change his lifestyle and his course”.

Sentencing, Recorder Benjamin Blakemore described this as an “ugly incident,” and said that Jones had exhibited “drunken, yobbish, bullying behaviour”.

Recorder Blakemore told Jones: “You were drunk. You became not just a nuisance, but positively abusive.

“It is clear that you understand just how appalling that behaviour was.

“Alcohol has blighted all sorts of (aspects of) your life. When you’re in drink, you’re a particularly unpleasant and violent individual.

“You need to grow up.”

Jones will pay a statutory surcharge upon his release from prison, while the screwdriver was ordered to be forfeited and destroyed.