A MAN from Rhyl who stole more than £4,000 worth of goods in a “spree” of thefts in the town and in Llandudno has been spared jail.

Anthony Horan, 44, of Church Street, admitted six thefts and one attempted theft at Llandudno Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (October 24).

He returned to the same court yesterday (October 25), where he was sentenced to 49 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for two years.


Jail for 'abhorrent' Rhyl thief who kicked and spat at police officers

Rhyl woman stole bedding and cigarettes in seven shoplifting offences

During Tuesday’s hearing, prosecutor Jim Neary told the court that, on September 20, Horan and another defendant, Christopher Jones, stole two saws from the B&Q store in Rhyl worth a total of £430.

Horan was bailed by police following his arrest, but then committed further thefts from October 15 to 23.

On October 15, he stole Christmas decorations and ornaments from The Range, at Rhyl’s Marina Quay retail park, worth £179.98.

He also stole designer Armani Exchange jackets from Sports Direct in Rhyl’s White Rose Centre, worth £570, on the same day.

The following day, Horan returned to Sports Direct in Rhyl, and stole CP soft cell jackets worth £618.

Horan attempted to steal clothes again from Sports Direct in Rhyl on October 21, but was stopped by staff, Mr Neary said.

On October 22, at Llandudno’s JD Sports store on Mostyn Street, Horan stole The North Face clothing worth £1,300.

And on October 23, he stole clothing from Llandudno’s Go Outdoors store on Mostyn Street worth £1,305.

Mr Neary said Horan had “gone off on a spree” of stealing since being bailed, and had committed “persistent offences” of “expedition thefts”.

He said Horan was “not acting under coercion,” adding: “Once he got known in Rhyl, he’s started to steal in Llandudno.”

Alex Fitzgerald, defending Horan, said he has not had any convictions since 2017, and none for shoplifting since 2002.

Horan had been working in a factory manufacturing truck parts, but was made redundant in July, Mr Fitzgerald said.

As a result, Horan has fallen behind with his rent payments, and faced a potential eviction from his home, which Mr Fitzgerald said led him to commit these thefts.

Mr Fitzgerald invited magistrates to suspend his custodial sentence.

In addition to his suspended sentence, Horan must complete 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £652.50 in compensation.

He is also banned from entering all retailed premises, save for the Morrisons supermarket on Marsh Road, Rhyl.