A CANDLE was the cause of a fire on the first floor of a flat in Rhyl yesterday.

Crews from Rhyl, Abergele and Prestatyn were sent to the incident on Wellington Road shortly after 4pm.

Two officers wearing breathing apparatus entered the building but its occupants had already left.

By 5.45pm, the fire was confirmed as being extinguished.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue said: "An investigation found the blaze was sparked by a candle, which destroyed the bedroom and smoke logged the rest of the flat."

A stop was called at 6pm but the road block remained in place for another hour on Wellington Road near its junction with John Street and Ffynnongroew Road.

One crew remained behind to assess the damage and investigate the cause of the fire.