AN EX-FIREFIGHTER helped rescue a man from a burning flat in Abergele.

Gaz Jones Davies and his friend Paul Cowdell stopped at the scene of the fire in a property above Helen's Fish Bar and Pizza on Market Street on Tuesday morning.

The pair were on their way to work at Morrisons Utilities when they noticed smoke coming out of the window.

Gaz said: "I only retired from the Fire Service 18 days ago after 20 years serving Abergele, so natural instincts kicked in.

"Me and Paul were passing the area at about 7.15am and noticed the smoke. Other people were there too but didn't go into the building.

"There was only one rescued from the actual building but we did help evacuate neighbours from nearby houses too."

Staff from the nearby George & Dragon pub took to Facebook to say: "Just to let every know we all got out safe thanks to Vicky for banging on our windows. The chip shop went up in flames next to our pub.

"We just want to thank every one from to co op for letting my wife and kids keep warm in there office."

Three fire crews, two from Rhyl and one from Abergele were sent to the scene to deal with the incident.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue added: “The fire was confined to a first floor flat and everyone has been accounted for.

"Investigations are ongoing. We have investigation officers at the scene. It doesn't appear that an ambulance was needed or anyone was taken to hospital but oxygen was given to one person at the scene."

A spokesperson for the Welsh Ambulance Service added: "We were called to an address on Market Street at about 7.20am and dispatched a paramedic in a rapid response car.

"We were stood down quickly by colleagues in the Fire Service as nobody required treatment.”