FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a cafe on the Pensarn promenade.

The Fire Service say they received a call at 4.07pm on Monday to attend an incident at the Beach Cafe.

A spokesperson said: "There was 25% damage to the kitchen area and one crew from Abergele attended, using two hose reels to extinguish the fire."

The blaze was believed to have been started by an electrical fault in a one-year-old smart meter, which was taken away for inspection.

Staff at sister cafe Pantri Bach took to Facebook to thank locals for their show of support and confirmed that nobody had been hurt during the incident.

They said: "Thank you to everyone sending their support and worries about the beach cafe, thankfully no one was in the building & the fire crew are doing a fabulous job

"Thank you all for the lovely messages, the building is secured and we'll speak with the insurance company first thing. We were coming upto closing the beach cafe for the winter so had been closing some days in the week which thankfully meant no staff or customers were there.

"Massive thanks to the fire crews who arrived quickly, put the fire out and stayed with us until the electric company came, kept us updated as to what was happening throughout. They were all very empathic and caring.

"Were are very relieved no one was hurt although many of our staff were visibly upset."

Business owner Nick Williams said that the Beach Cafe is expected to re-open by its next trading period, next Easter.

He added that the Fire team who attended the incident had been "fantastic".