ABOUT 2,000 chicks have been killed in a fire near Denbigh.

The animals were being kept in a large chicken shed in Prion, which has been destroyed by the blaze which began at 10.30pm on Friday night.

Crews from Denbigh, Ruthin, St Asaph and Abergele took more than three hours to battle the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by an overheating lamp.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and rescue said: "We were called to a incident involving a chicken shed at 10.30pm on Friday, July 12 in Prion.

"The most probable cause of the fire is an overheating lamp.

"The fire was under control at 1.42am, and there was 100 percent damage to the 14 ft by 10 ft shed. Unfortunately about 2,000 chicks were killed in the fire."