THE family of an Abergele pensioner who had surgery for two types of cancer felt that doctors “wrote him off” too soon, deciding that he should receive only palliative care.

But at an inquest in Ruthin, medics who treated retired draughtsman Kenneth Wright explained the problems they faced and how their options were limited by his general condition.

Eighty-year-old Mr Wright, of Moor Park, Abergele, died at Glan Clwyd Hospital on August 14, 2017, having been readmitted after a spell at Colwyn Bay Community Hospital.

At the end of the hearing, John Gittins, coroner for North Wales East and Central, took the unusual step of recording a lengthy narrative conclusion laying out the background to his death.

The conclusion read: “In April, 2014, Kenneth Wright was diagnosed with prostate cancer and received treatment by way of radiotherapy and hormone injections. In November, 2016, he was suspected of having developed bladder cancer which, following investigation, was confirmed in March, 2017.

“He underwent surgical treatment for this on May 30, 2017. However, it was not possible for the entirety of the bladder to be removed and it is probable that cancerous cells remained.

“Post-operatively, despite a brief time at home, he returned to hospital at the end of June 2017, with sepsis.

"At that time, as a result of probable misinterpretation of a scan and the information then given to them, his family believed that the bladder had not been removed and it was subsequently explained to them that Mr Wright still had an ongoing malignancy which could not be addressed by further treatment either by surgery or radiotherapy.

“Thereafter, although he continued to receive treatment both at Glan Clwyd Hospital and Colwyn Bay Community Hospital, the focus of such treatment sought to address an ongoing infection."

He continued: “By August 8 his condition had further deteriorated and he was re-admitted to Glan Clwyd Hospital, where a considered view was reached that further antibiotic treatment was not required and the following day referral was made to the palliative care team.

“Mr Wright passed away at Glan Clwyd Hospital at 11.33am on August 14, 2017, as a result of a natural disease process, namely sepsis which had developed from a bronchopneumonia – which, in turn, had been due to a pelvis abscess stemming from the complication of both his original radiotherapy and the later cystectomy.”

Consultant Dr Sangbamitra Chacrabatri said the sepsis could have developed very rapidly and it was not surprising it was not seen when Mr Wright was admitted to Glan Clwyd.

Dr Hem Mallappa, who decided that Mr Wright should receive palliative care, told the hearing that he had enough information before him at the time to reach such a decision.

Asked by the coroner: “The family feels that he was given up on sooner than he should have been?”, the family’s barrister Rose Harvey replied: “Yes”.

The family declined to comment after the hearing.