A ELECTRICAL fault in a washing machine triggered a huge fire in a garage in Rhyl.

Thick black smoke filled the skies across Rhyl on Monday, February 4 following a fire that ripped through a garage and spread to the lounge area of a two-storey house on Gordon Avenue.

Four crews attended - two from Rhyl, one from Abergele and one from Prestatyn.

Rhyl Journal:

Picture: Patsy Cash-Deakin

Courtney Jade Reeves was making her way into Rhyl when she spotted the flames.

She said: "We were at the traffic lights, near Morrisons. You could smell the burning and see the smoke.

"We followed it to where the fire was and there weren’t any fire engines there at the time but we could hear them in the background.

"It was crazy, the smell was so strong and the smoke was pitch black. The smoke was everywhere."

Welsh Ambulance sent a rapid response vehicle. Nobody was taken to hospital.

North Wales Fire and Rescue were called to the blaze at 11.49am.

A spokesperson from the service said: "The investigation concluded the fire was due to an electrical fault in a washing machine".

Cheshire police and North Wales Police Alliance Armed Policing Unit tweeted: "ARVs have assisted North Wales Fire [on Monday] at a large house fire in the Rhyl area.

"We are happy to report that all persons involved are safe and well."

The fire service is advising residents what steps to take while using tumble dryers/white goods. Information can be found here: www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk/white-goods-guide

Further electrical safety advice can be found here.