AN ABERGELE dad-of-two who was found slumped in an alley later died due to alcohol toxicity, an inquest concluded.

Gary Boyd, of Llwyn Morfa in Abergele, died at Glan Clwyd Hospital on July 15 last year. He was 36.

Resuming an inquest into his death at Ruthin on January 11 Elizabeth Dudley-Jones, assistant coroner for North Wales (east and central), said Mr Boyd had previously seen his GP for a number of issues including alcohol problems, anxiety, depression and anger.

The inquest heard the statement of John Lewis, a dog walker who found Mr Boyd in an alleyway adjacent to Faenol Avenue early on the morning of July 15.

Mr Lewis explained it looked like Mr Boyd had been sat on a wall but had slumped off it.

He called an ambulance and attempted CPR, stating he knew Mr Boyd was in trouble and that he had been emitting an 'agonal’ breathing noise.

Emergency services attended the scene – where two empty vodka bottles were found - and Mr Boyd was taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital, where he later died.

Mr Boyd's wife Michelle, who did not attend the inquest, gave a statement to DC Jayne Marsden of North Wales Police.

In it she explained they had been married for eight years and had two children aged five and four.

She said her husband's alcohol issues had put a strain on the family and that her own health had suffered as a result.

Mrs Boyd had often come home to find her husband passed out on the sofa or in their garden, she explained in the statement.

One such occurrence had happened in the days leading up to his discovery in the alley - resulting in him being taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital’s emergency department, then released.

A post mortem examination found Mr Boyd had a 'potentially lethal’ level of ethanol present in his blood. The cause of death was confirmed to be alcohol toxicity and fatty liver.

Miss Dudley-Jones recorded a conclusion of an alcohol related death.

In her statement, Mrs Boyd said she felt she had been let down.

But after reviewing the details of the care offered to Mr Boyd throughout his admissions to the hospital – both in the days prior to and on the day of his death - as well as support from other agencies, the assistant coroner said: "It is difficult to lose a family member. But to lose a family member so young is distressing.

"It is clear to me that Mrs Boyd has been through the mill and her distress was evident.

"I am not of the opinion that the system let her down."

Miss Dudley-Jones said Mr Boyd had not availed himself of opportunities presented to him - including support from CAIS.

She concluded: "No criticism comes from me - all that could have been done for this man was done."