WHAT happened to a man who was found dead in his flat remains a mystery - three years on.

Yesterday marked the third anniversary of the death of Liam Hill, who was found at 1.45pm on Friday, January 8 2016 on his flat at 70 West Parade.

Initially, Liam's death prompted a murder inquiry.

The 44-year-old died as a result of a fracture to his skull, but despite extensive enquiries, officers have been unable to identify how or where the injury occurred.

In 2017, an inquest into Liam's death recorded an open conclusion. Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers described the spread of injuries as “bizarre to say the least”.

Joyce Jones, Liam's sister, said: "It has been three years now since the death of Liam, but still we are no nearer to any answers.

"We need your help to give us all closure. Someone must know something. Any little detail which you think may be irrelevant could re-open the investigation. Please give us the answers we require and the closure for Liam.”

North Wales Police have made a fresh appeal for anyone with information to come forward. Posters and leaflets will be distributed in an attempt to jog people’s memories.

Liam was 44-years-old

DI Chris Bell, of the Force Major Incident Team, said: "We are aware that Liam went to Corbett’s Bookmakers on Bodfor Street in Rhyl during the afternoon of Wednesday, January 6. He then paid several visits to the Bar Bow pub in Rhyl before making his way home on foot at about 6.45pm.

"A person matching Liam’s description was seen walking from Bar Bow on Water Street in the direction of West Parade then along towards River Street, to his home address. He was described as appearing drunk.

"At approximately 7pm, Liam was seen by neighbours at the foot of the communal stairs at his home. He still appeared drunk and was helped to his feet and assisted up the stairs to his flat. He told witnesses that he had fallen, but we have been unable to identify the location of this fall.”

At the time, Liam was wearing a dark blue waterproof type jacket, which finished just below the waist.

This was the same evening that Everton FC played Manchester City FC in the League Cup semi-final first leg. The kick off was 8pm at Goodison Park. The match finished 2 – 1 to Everton.

The following day, on Thursday, January 7, Liam spoke on the telephone with his mother Catherine. She said he seemed "fine" but said he had fallen the previous evening and had hurt his shoulder.

At about 9.30pm on Friday, January 8, Liam again spoke to his mother on the phone. During the call it was apparent to her that he was confused with what he was saying.

Shortly after 1.45pm that same day, Liam was found dead in his flat by his mother.

An investigation was launched by North Wales Police in order to establish the circumstances which led to Liam’s death.

The inquest, chaired by coroner John Gittins, heard that Liam had died from head and chest trauma but he also, mysteriously, had a collar bone fracture, broken ribs and most an injury to the genitalia.

In tribute to her son, Catherine said: "Liam was the most loving son you could wish to have. He loved spending time with all his family."

Police are keen to hear from anyone who has information in relation to Liam's walk home from the Bar Bow pub on January 6, 2016 or those who may be aware of how Liam sustained his injuries.

Telephone police on 101 or telephone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 quoting Operation Panatella. Alternatively visit the web live chat at www.north-wales.police.uk