THE dangers of carelessly discarded cigarettes are being highlighted following a fire where a woman and two dogs died.

The blaze broke out on Wednesday, October 31 on Gors Road, off Kinmel Way, Towyn. A joint investigation by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police revealed the likely cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Four appliances attended. On arrival, crews were confronted with a dormer bungalow ground floor heavily involved in fire.

A woman was transferred to an ambulance to be taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards.

Bob Mason from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "My condolences and deepest sympathies go to the family and friends involved in this tragic incident.

"The fire investigation has found that the cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded cigarette - this incident clearly highlights the dangers of not extinguishing cigarettes properly in suitable containers.

"It is vital to make sure all smoking materials are put out safely, especially before bed time.

"If you have elderly relatives or friends who are smokers, make them aware of the possible dangers."

The following advice, to help cut the risk of a smoking related fire in the home, has been issued:

Take extra care when tired - Taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol.

Never smoke in bed - if in need of a lie down, don't light up.

Never leave lit cigarettes cigars or pipes unattended - they can overbalance as they burn down

Buy child-resistant lighters and matchboxes - every year children die by starting fires with matches and lighters. Keep them out of reach

Use a heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn and install and maintain a smoke alarm.