A Rhyl man was found unconscious after falling asleep at a house party, an inquest heard.

Two of Daniel Palmer’s friends carried out CPR until paramedics arrived but the 43-year-old died shortly after reaching Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

A post-mortem examination revealed the cause of death as a hypoxic brain injury – a shortage of oxygen to the brain – with cocaine toxicity a contributory factor .

At the hearing in Ruthin Joanne Lees, assistant coroner for North Wales East and Central, recorded a conclusion of a drug-related death, but stressed that she could not say whether the cocaine usage had been a one-off incident or long-term.

He was found to have narrowing of the arteries, probably caused by past usage of cocaine.

Mr Palmer, of West Parade, Rhyl, worked for builders’ merchants Travis-Perkins, having previously been a security officer and a supervisor at the Sun Centre.

In a statement read at the Ruthin inquest his brother Gareth described him as “an occasion, recreational drug user” who enjoyed cycling, birdwatching and outdoor activities in general. He was also known for his love of Northern Soul music.

The inquest heard how he spent the evening of May 5 drinking in Rhyl before going to a house party at a flat occupied by a friend, Durrell Faulkner, in the early hours.

Mr Durrell told police that his recollection of events was hazy but he remembered Mr Palmer falling over a table at one stage but he was happy and dancing.

He said he knew that Mr Palmer had used cocaine in the past but did not see any drugs being used or offered that night.

Emileigh Barnes, who was also present, said she saw Mr Palmer sleeping on a sofa and snoring loudly. He fell off, and was left sleeping on the floor, but a few hours later she saw he was white.

An ambulance was called and Ms Barnes and Mr Faulkner applied CPR until paramedics arrived. Life support systems were switched off later that day.