AN ELDERLY woman had to be assisted from the first floor of a property after a car caught fire.

The incident happened on Tuesday (June 19) on Clwyd Avenue, Abergele.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service received reports of a car on fire in a driveway at 9.40am.

Two appliances attended – from Abergele and Rhyl.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "We used two hosereel jets and one set of breathing apparatus

"There were two occupants in the property. They were OK and did not require medical attention.

"One elderly lady was assisted from the first floor."

It is understood the fire was sparked by an electrical fault.