A MAN has launched an emotional campaign to raise awareness and funds for a heart charity after his adult son died in his sleep.
Sam Standerwick, a keen gym-goer who trained at DL Fitness in Rhyl, died in the early hours of December 17, 2016.
The 25-year-old, of Llanddulas near Abergele, who had achieved a number of British powerlifting records, had been out with friends in Liverpool and had booked an overnight stay in a hotel.
The next day, just before 4pm, the family received a visit from the police and were told Sam had died in his sleep.
An inquest revealed Sam's coronary artery was 70 per cent blocked – something expected in a person suffering with major heart disease.
In the months leading up to his death, Sam had complained of heart palpitations.
His family are now trying to raise awareness and to fund a mobile screening team in North Wales by raising money for Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY), which works to reduce the frequency of sudden cardiac death in young people
So far £5,000 has been raised and further challenges organised to bring in money.
A family fun day is also being planned for June at DL Fitness in Rhyl.
Fundraisers also plan to whizz across the longest zip line in Europe – Velocity at Zip World at Penrhyn Quarry – on May 19.
Adrian Standerwick, Sam’s dad, said: “Before Sam went off to Liverpool, he bounced out of our door with the words ‘love you mum, love you dad’.
“The following morning, his girlfriend Kim got in touch with Deb (Sam’s mum) as she was worried that she hadn’t heard from Sam; he had last messaged her at 2.30am.
“At 3.50pm a police officer came to our door and our whole world collapsed.”
Mr Standerwick, 50, added: “In 2010 following a night out, Sam got into a fight which led to him being sent to prison for eight months.
“On his release he threw himself into the gym in Rhyl, training. He was a transformed person and totally dedicated.
“Sam not only competed at the GPC Powerlifting event, but smashed a number of British records.
“He worked with me at my CCTV business and he blossomed.
“He was planning to start up his own business in 2016. He had the world at his feet.”
As part of their campaign, Adrian and his family are trying to raise awareness and urging those who experience blackouts, heart palpitations or lack energy to get themselves checked out.
Posters – alongside charity tins – have been put in pubs, salons as well as other areas.
“It's so important that people realise that every penny raised is going towards screening of local people. It could be their donation that saves a life,” Mr Standerwick added.
To support the campaign, search for Samuel Standerwick at uk.virginmoneygiving.com or find Sam Standerwick Memorial Fund on Facebook.