Llandudno shop worker talked down St Asaph knifeman


Staff reporter (NW Pioneer)

A LLANDUDNO shop assistant fought back when a knife man struggled with her over a crate of cider.

Marie Louise Hall was working alone at the One Stop Shop one night when the would-be robber struck.

Shane Anthony Williams was angry that Miss Hall would not serve him because it was outside licensing hours.

He demanded to be served but she refused and he left making threats as he went.

Mold Crown Court heard on Friday how he returned brandishing a knife.
Despite the fact he pointed the knife at her and threatened to slash her if she did not let go of a crate of cider he had picked up.

She struggled with him, stopped him taking the alcohol, and was able to usher him out of the shop in Great Orme’s Road on January 26.

Williams, aged 25, of Heol Afon, St Asaph, admitted attempted robbery, possessing the knife, and an earlier house burglary in July of last year and was jailed for four and half years.

Judge Niclas Parry described Miss Hall as “an extremely brave lady”.

Prosecutor David Mainstone said it was 10.33pm that the defendant entered the shop.

He dropped the crate of lager he had, picked it up again, put it on the counter and remonstrated with her, but she refused to serve him.

A knife fell from his pocket, and when she asked what he was doing with it, he said “a lot of people around here don’t like me.”

He was ushered out of the shop but when he returned he picked up the cider, produced the knife and told her: “If you don’t let me have this I am going to slash you.”

Miss Hall told him: “You are not going to touch me with that.”

She wrestled the cider from him and he left empty handed.

Two hours later he was arrested following a disturbance in Lloyd Street where the knife was found following a report of a bare chested man fighting in the street and jumping on cars.

The burglary occurred at a house at Marli near Llanefydd when the property was ransacked and a knife was stabbed into a kitchen surface.

Co-defendant John James Dunn, aged 33, of St Margaret’s Drive in Rhyl, admitted the joint burglary but he received a 12 month community order after the judge was told he had already served the equivalent of a 14 month prison sentence while on remand.

They admitted stealing three jackets, a sleeping bag, a fleece, a Swiss army knife and £40 in cash.
The 46-year-old, who has worked at the store since August 2012, said: "I was just trying to talk calmly - if you keep calm with someone who's aggressive, they don't find you a threat.

"I was all right at the time, but when I came back in to work the following day, it was like I was shivering.

“I work my hands off for a living - I have to, so what gives other people the right to just come in and take something?"

She added: "The company I work for has been fantastic, and my manager."

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read