Two men suffer burns after rubbish fire in Prestatyn

Reporter:

Staff reporter (Rhyl Journal)

TWO men have been hospitalised with burns to their faces after a rubbish fire in Prestatyn.

Two men aged 22 and 23 received burns to their faces, extending to the lower arms and upper legs of one casualty after the burning of rubbish in a container just after 8pm on Sunday night.

Both men were taken to hospital for treatment and their injuries are not believed to be life threatening with both men reported to be in a stable condition in hospital on Monday morning.

Fire officers are now warning about the dangers of burning household or garden rubbish.
Dave Roberts, partnership manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This incident highlights the potential dangers of household or garden waste fires – as well as putting yourself at risk, you could also be endangering other people and properties in the community.

“Using an accelerant to initiate or promote a fire can present a high risk as found in this case when the fire ‘flashed up’ suddenly – accelerants can make a fire produce more heat very quickly, as well as increase the spread of fire and the risk of injury.

“Furthermore, dry weather can make conditions extremely dangerous as small fires can get out of hand very quickly, cause extensive damage and put lives at risk while tying up valuable fire and rescue service resources which could be needed elsewhere.
"You can get rid of household or garden waste by composting or recycling it. Contact your local council to find out how to dispose of garden and household waste and about recycling in your area."

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read