Yobs attack Prestatyn toilets causing thousands of pounds of damage
Wednesday 12 December 2012 9:34
VANDALS have caused thousands of pounds of damage to three Prestatyn toilets.
A spate of attacks by yobs have left facilities closed to members of the public after they have been set on fire, damaged and left smeared with excrement.
Recently installed ‘pod’ toilets near the bus station and train station have been attacked as well as the traditional brick toilets near Ty Nant.
Prestatyn county councillor Peter Duffy said: “This is disgusting behaviour. It is the lowest of the low.
“They have damaged the toilets at the bus station and in the car park near the train station.
“They set fire to the toilets near Ty Nant. There was a string on incidents last week.
“They have broken the baby changing tables and they have smeared excrement on the toilet walls.
“This has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.”
Police are reviewing CCTV footage in a bid to identify those responsible.
Cllr Duffy added: “They have got to realise it is their parents and grandparents footing the bill, we will all have to pay for it.
“The men’s toilets at Ty Nant will be closed for a while but the ladies and disable toilets are still open.
“People need to keep an eye out and report any behaviour like this.
“We need to let people know what has happened.”
Prestatyn Mayor, Councillor Anton Sampson, encouraged residents to contact police on 101 and said they would be reviewing the opening hours of the toilets.
A spokesman for Denbighshire Council said: “We are aware of the vandalism that has taken place to the public conveniences in Prestatyn and are working on repairing them and re-opening them as soon as possible.
“We are also working closely with North Wales Police and CCTV in order to try and control the situation and prevent further damage taking place.
“This appears to be an on going problem, with a number of individuals regularly visiting the areas in question leaving them in too damaged a state to be used by the public.”