ad

Cause of Abergele house fire deemed electrical

Published date: 22 August 2014 |
Published by: Suzanne Jordan 
Read more articles by Suzanne Jordan  Email reporter


 

THE cause of a fire which left a nine-year-old girl and a 14-year-old girl in hospital has been deemed electrical.

Five people, including two girls, a man in his 40s and two women in their 40s, were taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital as a precaution after a blaze ripped through a terrace house at Fforydd Y Morfa in Abergele on Wednesday.

North Wales Fire and Rescue service said they believe the cause of the fire was electrical and orginated in the bedroom of the property. Gas cylinders were stored in the bedroom.

The fire on Wednesday took firefighters more than two hours to put out. The Rescue Service recieved reports of a fire at 11.02am and the fire was put under control by 1.13pm.

Two crews from Colwyn Bay and Prestatyn, the Technical Rescue Unit from Wrexham and the Aerial Ladder platform from Rhyl was used to tackle the fire. An ambulance was also in attendance.

Witnesses claimed they saw an "explosion" at the property and others spoke of black smoke pouring from the house’s roof.

The fire left the roof of the property completely destroyed.

A North Wales Fire and Rescue service person said: "It was a terrace property. Hose reel jets and breathing apparatus were used to tackle the fire, which had spread into the roof space/ Properties either side of the house affected were evacuated and five casualties were transferred to hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks."

Tony Jones from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Electricity is often overlooked as a fire hazard, perhaps because there is no flame but just because there is no flame, doesn't mean there's no risk - never underestimate the risk of fire from electricity.

“In this incident, cylinders were stored in the bedroom - gas cylinders should be stored in safe areas away from the house, and kept away from heat sources.
"For the protection of you and your family, make sure you have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your home and that it is tested regularly."

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

 

Featured Businesses

  • Peter Williams Painter & Decorator
    Painter & Decorator.Paper Hanging Specialist, Special rates for O.A.P's, 3 Year Guarantee on all work,Quality Workmanship,Free Advice & Estimates.
    More »
  • Get Plastered With Graham
    GET PLASTERED WITH GRAHAM Jobs Big And Small Just Give Me A Call! FREE ESTIMATES 07798723055 01745 824733
    More »
  • G R P Flat Roofing
    PVCU Fascias - Soffits - Gittering
    More »
  • A1 Ceilings
    Artex Specialist Old ceilings and walls to look as new whatever their condition FREE ESTIMATES We also make cracked & existing artex ceilings smooth again All interior plastering & coving undertaken
    More »
View all adverts