Kinmel Bay man left with "hideous scarring" after being hit with a mug in Llandudno

Published date: 11 July 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


WHEN a friend tried to break up an argument at a house in Llandudno Jack Daniel Brown thrust a mug into his face, causing wounds which needed 47 stitches and leaving behind “hideous scarring,” a judge said.

“It was an ugly incident where you viciously attacked Darren Stevenson,” said Judge Peter Heywood at Caernarfon crown court.

“It left him self-conscious, his children afraid of him and he’s afraid of going out.”

Brown, aged 21, of Aled Gardens, Kinmel Bay, was jailed for two and a half years after pleading guilty to unlawful wounding, being in breach of a suspended sentence, and resisting two police officers who had to Taser him twice and use captor spray in a separate later incident.

David Mainstone, prosecuting, said the wounding happened in a house in King’s Road, Llandudno, at 2.30am on 1 February after Brown and a group of friends had enjoyed a night out drinking.

When Brown threatened violence against one of the men Mr Stevenson tried to defuse the situation.

“The defendant picked up a mug from the side of the kitchen then smashed it on the side of Mr Stevenson’s head, causing severe lacerations.”

Mr Mainstone said there had been scarring and nerve damage and Mr Stevenson was in hospital for five days then had to be re-admitted because of an infection with stitches replaced.

In a victim statement Mr Stevenson said several months after he still suffered pain.

The following night Brown had been involved in another incident in which he put his arms around a woman’s neck and punched her, for which he received a suspended sentence from magistrates at Llandudno.

Because of problems he was causing in the locality a housing association obtained an order to keep him away but despite this on May 5 he’d turned up at his mother’s home after drinking.

Police were called and he was found hiding under a bed, and arrested after a violent struggle in which one of the officers injured his shoulder.

Mathew Curtis, defending, said: “He apologised to Mr Stevenson on the night of the offence and he repeats it now.” Brown had also made his peace with his mother.

“When the officers had been called after the May incident he had realised “that it was the end of the road and he was going into custody.”

Passing sentence Judge Heywood, who said he would be failing in his duty if he didn’t impose an immediate custodial sentence, told Brown: “You are clearly a young man who has problems with your temper.”

For more news from across the region visit

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.


Featured Businesses

View all adverts