ad

Conwy councillors review £4.25 million worth of winter storm damage

Published date: 20 May 2014 |
Published by: Mike Williams 
Read more articles by Mike Williams  Email reporter


 

THE destruction of a promenade, the erosion of a railway embankment and “significant” damage to infrastructure - these are just some of the problems left by the devastating storms that ravaged Conwy’s coastline over the winter. 

Senior Conwy Councillors discussed a report into the damage caused by the storms on December 5 and January 3 at a cabinet meeting last week, where they heard beach levels on Llandudno’s North Shore have dropped to critical levels. 

Cllr Mike Priestley said: “If we have another big storm, who knows what will happen. 

“I wish the storms last year had never happened.” 

The council has received £4.25million in government funding for the repairs. 

Cllr Priestley added: “Quite simply, we would not have been able to do this repair work and some of the bigger flodd defence projects without the Welsh Government money.” 

The Flooding and Storm Damage Report, by Head of Environment, Roads and Facilities Geraint Edwards revealed that Deganwy, Kinmel Bay and Llanddulas were the worst hit areas, with 12 residential and 5 commercial properties flooded across the county. 

The Cabinet was told that 10 projects have been launched to repair the damage to artificial and natural sea defences. 

Cllr Priestley added: “All we can do is get them up to the design standard. 

“Is Wales ready for a big storm? I don’t know. 

“We’re looking at our defences on a risk management basis. 

“The higher the risk, the higher priority we give it. 

“All we can do in the end is lessen the risk - I don’t think there is anyone anywhere that will say they will never get flooded again.” 

The report read: “Many more properties were prevented from flooding by our coastal defences. 

“The recent secondary sea wall works at Llanfairfechan were tested for the first time and prevented any flooding of properties despite 

more severe conditions than 2010, when 10 properties were flooded. 

“Significant damage to infrastructure also occurred. Deganwy was the worst affected area with a section of promenade lost during the storm.” 

Work to rebuild Deganwy promenade is due to be completed by July, which includes eight weeks of construction. 

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Featured Businesses

  • Mr D S Bailey
    Artexing & Joiner ceiling and wall specialists Plasterboarding Coving Plastering All Aspects of Interior Plastering.
    More »
  • Fencing Services
    We supply and fit Concreate Post's, Bases, Vertical Board Panel. Repairs Undertaken
    View website »
  • Edward Hughes Solicitors
    Quality solicitors for whatever life brings. We support individuals & businesses in & around Rhyl & Colwyn Bay.
    More »
  • A1 Ceilings
    Artex Specialist Old ceilings and walls to look as new whatever their condition FREE ESTIMATES We also make cracked & existing artex ceilings smooth again All interior plastering & coving undertaken
    More »
View all adverts