ad

Pensarn flat fire caused by faulty electrics

Published date: 20 March 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


 

FAULTY electrics led to a "severe" blaze in a Pensarn flat.

North Wales Fire and Rescue have warned residents in the region of the dangers of faulty electrical appliances after the fire in a fourth floor flat just before 3pm on Marine Road on Tuesday.

Firefighters used eight sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to tackle the blaze, which caused severe smoke, heat and fire damage to the lounge, as well as smoke and water damage to a number of neighbouring flats.

Investigators said the fire was probably caused by a faulty electrical item.

Richard Everall from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Thankfully, the occupants of the flats had the early warning provided by smoke alarms and were able to evacuate safely.

“We attend around 470 accidental fires in dwellings each year and electricity or electrical items are responsible for over 300 of these fires.

“Around 90 of these fires are due to electrical faults, but the majority are caused by misuse of the electrical items.

“So many residents use old or dangerous electrical items and overload their sockets, causing a potentially fatal fire risk.”

To find out if you’re overloading your sockets, visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.
For a free home fire safety check, telephone 0800 169 1234, e-mail cfs@nwales-fireservice.org.uk or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.
 

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

Comments are closed for this story.

 

Featured Businesses

View all adverts