THE company which runs Rhyl Sun Centre and two Prestatyn attractions has said the facilities will close with immediate effect.
Clwyd Leisure has said more than 120 jobs will be lost after a deal to hand the Sun Centre, the Nova Centre and the North Wales Bowls Centre back to Denbighshire Council has fallen through.
But Denbighshire Council has not ruled out opening the facilties and are set to undertake a condition check once keys to the sites are are handed over.
Rebecca Maxwell, Corporate Director for Denbighshire Council, said: "The council has involved in discussions with Clwyd Leisure this week and we understand that the company has decided to wind-up the company and is intending to appoint an insolvency practitioner to carry out the work.
"We understand that the decision by the board of Clwyd Leisure has not been taken lightly and they consider this to be the only viable option available to them.
"Any insolvency firm appointed will look at dealing with all the main creditors, including Denbighshire County Council as landlords and with staff currently employed by Clwyd Leisure.
"The council has worked closely with Clwyd Leisure over recent years to try and help address the issues that have been raised around the management and running of the facilities.
"We feel that we have done our utmost to assist the company .
"Once the keys have been handed over to the council, our staff will be carrying out a full condition survey.
"That will allow us to determine if we are going to be able to get them open.
"We recognise this will be an unsettling time for everyone involved, in particular the staff, while the company closes down.
"The council has already made it quite clear that, should it decide to take over the running of the facilities, current staff employed by Clwyd Leisure would be considered first.
"The council will also look at promoting suitable vacancies within the council if they become available."
On Friday a Clwyd Leisure spokesman said: “Negotiations with Denbighshire Council over the potential transfer of staff have finished with no way the jobs can be saved and so Clwyd Leisure has no option but to start the close down of the company.
“This will start with the closure of the facilities with immediate effect.
“The company will be appointing an insolvency practitioner to co-ordinate the closure of the company.
“It is with great regret that the directors have had to make this decision and they thank all their dedicated staff for their efforts and all our loyal customers who have supported us through-out these difficult past months.”
Denbighshire Council said it will withdraw all funding for Clwyd Leisure as of April 1, a decision which the company said left them on the verge of liquidation.
Clwyd Leisure is an arm's length non for profit company set up to run the attractions in 2001.
Negotiations had been ongoing to transfer the facilities back into council control.
Denbighshire Council has previously said it had serious concerns about the way the company was being run and the operation of the facilities which it said had resulted in a reduction in visitors of over 72,000 since 2008.
Clwyd Leisure blamed a reduction in funding from £391,000 a year in 2001 to what would have been £195,000 in the 2014/15.