Rhyl businessman jailed for bribing teenager after assault

Published date: 23 January 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


A RHYL businessman who bribed a teenage boy with the promise of a mobile phone and cannabis not to give evidence against him on an assault charge has been jailed for nine months.

Mold Crown Court heard how Mohammed Aslam, 35, devised the plan in a bid to have the charges dropped.

Aslam, of Market Street, who runs a mobile phone shop, and the boy both pleaded not guilty to devising the plan at an earlier hearing - but they were convicted after trial by a jury.

Judge Philip Hughes jailed Aslam for nine months after for perverting the course of justice.

He also admitted the assault on the boy and being in breach of a suspended prison sentence.

The boy aged 15 at the time but now 16 was placed on an 18 month youth rehabilitation order.

Matthew Corbett-Jones, prosecuting, told the court the boy had been to the shop and there was an argument between them.

The boy claimed he was owed money over a mobile phone he had previously sold there.

It was alleged that when the boy left he threw a cream egg at the window of the shop before running away.

Aslam chased after him, allegedly jumped on him and pushed him to the ground.

He was said to have grabbed him by his clothing and pulled him up again – and the boy suffered a hairline fracture of the ankle in the incident.

Aslam claimed the boy had fallen and injured himself and the prosecutor said it was not alleged that the defendant had caused that fracture.

He was charged with an assault but the boy later contacted the police to drop the charge.

Both blamed each other for what later occurred but police found a series of text messages which showed that an agreement was being hatched under which the boy would drop the complaint if he was provided with a mobile phone and some cannabis.

The prosecutor said that the text messages showed that two men had been “bartering” over how to drop the charge.

Matthew Curtis, for Aslam, said the proceedings had been hanging over him for two years and he suffered depression after the death of his father.

Simon Mintz, defending, said the boy had not realised the seriousness of what he was doing.

Judge Hughes said that such matters were always serious because they undermined the criminal justice system.

For more news from across the region visit

Comments are closed for this story.


Featured Businesses

View all adverts