Flood victims warned over cowboy builders

Published date: 07 December 2013 |
Published by: Matt Jones 
Read more articles by Matt Jones  Email reporter


FLOOD victims are being warned about rogue traders and are being advised to contact their insurance companies.

Denbighshire County Council Trading Standards is advising those whose homes have been affected by the floods to beware of rogue traders and cowboy builders looking to exploit the damage and devastation caused by the recent floods across the county.

Previous floods in the UK have attracted doorsteps fraudsters offering a range of flood recovery services and other assistance including tree chopping, garden clearance, guttering, tarmacing, driveway cleaning and roof cleaning.

This results in poor quality work, disappearing cash deposits, excessive charging and charging for work not done.

Denbighshire Trading Standards urge people to be on their guard.

Emlyn Jones, Denbighshire's Public Protection Manager, said: “We are concerned that unscrupulous traders may try and take advantage of the victims of the recent flooding in Denbighshire.

“We want to remind people to be careful about who they employ for their flood repairs. This is an upsetting time for all those who have suffered damage to their homes, and we don’t want anyone to be taken advantage of whilst in this vulnerable state.”

"Unfortunately there are people who prey on the misfortunes of others, don't become a victim of these cowboy con men. Make your own appointments with reputable tradesmen - if you didn't call them then don't use them. Genuine trades people will welcome you asking for references and identification, check them both carefully."

Reputable traders do not trade in this way and if you are offered such goods, please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 04 05 06.

The council is also reminding people of the need to contact their insurance companies if they have been affected by the recent flooding.

People with no insurance are advised to contact Denbighshire's Welfare Rights Team or Citizens Advice as a matter of urgency.

People with insurance are advised to contact their insurance company at the earliest opportunity and the majority of people will find their company helpful and informative and will deal with your query as quickly as possible.

However, in a small number of cases, people may experience some difficulty with their insurance company.

If people do have any complaint about their insurance company, the advice in the first instance is to contact the company to make a complaint and offer the chance for them to investigate.

Keep the complaint brief and state exactly what you want the company to do to resolve your complaint. Legally companies have eight weeks to resolve complaints.

You can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman who can contact the business for you on an informal basis to tell them about your complaint. They can be contacted on 0300 1239 123 or 0800 0234567 (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm; Saturday 9am-1pm)

It is always best to put your complaint in writing and organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau can assist you with this.

People living in private rented accommodation should refer to their landlord as they may have insurance which provides cover to provide their tenants with alternative accommodation.


For more news from across the region visit

Comments are closed for this story.

Comments are closed for this story.


Featured Businesses

View all adverts