ARSONISTS set fire to a Prestatyn Hotel bonfire before it could be ignited for a fireworks display.
Nant Hall Hotel manager Kathy Hughes said staff were disappointed and upset after their bonfire, due to be lit on Saturday, November 2 to celebrate bonfire night, was set alight by vandals in the early hours of Friday morning.
Mrs Hughes, who was told about the blaze hours after it started, said: “It was very disappointing for us when we found out about it.
“We’ve been doing it for three years now and never had a problem like this before - this is the first time it has happened.
“It had taken a lot of work to gather everything and build the pile so obviously we are very upset.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue sent two fire crews to tackle the blaze at 4.05am.
Ten square meters of fire had to be extinguished using two hose reel jets.
Investigating officers said the fire was started deliberately.
Mrs Hughes added: “We can’t understand why someone would do it - the pile was damp because of the rain so someone must have gone into some effort to start the fire.
“We’re looking at CCTV to find out who did it.”
The Nant Hall Hotel has managed to build a backup bonfire pile using recycled wooden materials, and celebrations will continue at the hotel as planned.
Mrs Hughes added: “If we didn’t have a reserve pile I think this could have upset a lot of people.”