THE family of convicted rapist Ched Evans has set up a website to appeal for new information which could help overturn what they say was a “miscarriage of justice”.
The website (www.chedevans.com), which was launched on Saturday, details the family’s view of the case, the media coverage and much more.
For the first time since the 24-year-old ex-Wales and Sheffield United striker was sentenced in April, his mother Helen Roberts, has spoken of her devastation, following the launch of the site.
“The effect on our family and those who love him has been devastating,” said Helen. “The only purpose of the website is to appeal for new information which could help overturn this miscarriage of justice and to try and redress the balance after all the negative press both pre trial and post conviction.”
She added: “He has always maintained his innocence and those who know him totally believe in his innocence. Since the website was launched it has received over 13,000 unique visits.”
Evans, a former Rhyl High School pupil, was jailed for five years after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman in Rhuddlan’s Premier Inn following a night out in Rhyl in May 2011.
His co-defendant, Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, was found not guilty of the same charge.
Evans, whose former clubs also include Premiership champions Manchester City, Norwich City and Chester City, appealed the conviction and had the right to appeal turned down in November last year.
Following the conclusion of the trial, a surge of people took to naming the victim on Twitter and Facebook.
Nine people, who were arrested for publishing material likely to lead members of the public to identify the victim, pleaded guilty to the charge and were ordered to pay £624 in damages to the woman.
A tenth defendant, who originally denied the charge, changed her initial not guilty plea in January and was ordered to pay more than £1,600 in fines, costs and compensation.
The victim has since been given a new identity and North Wales Police said the woman has also moved away from the area.
In December last year, DCI Steve Williams said the victim has undergone a traumatic experience and has moved away in order to bring her life back to some normality.
Jo Wood, a trustee of Rape Crisis England and Wales said of the website launch: “She (the victim) is already totally traumatised. It is so unfair. He has been found guilty in the court of law. It is just punishing the victim over and over again. This has completely destroyed her life - she has been given a life sentence for what has happened to her.
“The website is an absolute disgrace – what does this say to anyone who wants to report a rape.”