A RHYL couple had a lucky escape after a chip pan fire in their home.
Smoke alarms fitted by firefighters helped save the couple from the blaze on River Street, Rhyl, just after 2.15pm on February 28.
The fire caused significant light smoke damage to the kitchen and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was thought to have been caused by a chip pan left unattended.
The couple were alerted by smoke alarms fitted as part of a home fire check.
Gwyn Jones, Community Safety Manager for Denbighshire and Conwy said: “This incident demonstrates the life saving properties of smoke alarms – they alerted the occupants of the fire and allowed them to escape the property safely.
“Chip pans can be extremely dangerous - We are finding that thankfully the number of chip pan fires is going down and people are listening to our warnings - but residents must remain vigilant as this incident goes to show.
“It is all too easy to turn your back and see a full blown fire develop in a matter of minutes if you do not cook safely.
“Our message is still to get rid of your chip pan and get a deep fat fryer instead, which is far safer.
“Leaving a chip pan unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite. A simple switch from the pan to the oven or a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer can help prevent the worst.”
To have free smoke alarms fitted in your home visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk or call our 24 hour hotline free on 0800 169 1234.