A WOMAN was taken to hospital after a house fire in the middle of the night.
Fire crews were called to Grasmere Road, Newton, shortly after 2am yesterday.
The fire led to neighbouring properties on the street being searched by firefighters to ensure the smoke had not spread.
A 50-year-old woman, who was a resident of the house, was treated by ambulance crews and taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.
A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two fire crews from Chester were mobilised to a report of a chip pan on fire at a property on Grasmere Road in Newton, Chester.
“On arrival, fire crews confirmed the property was heavily smoke logged.
“A further fire engine was requested to assist with searching adjacent properties, so one fire engine from Ellesmere Port was then mobilised.”
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus confirmed the fire had been fully extinguished.
“Fire crews used a large fan to ventilate the property,” added the spokesman.
“Fire crews also isolated the gas and electricity supplies.
“The occupier was taken to hospital by ambulance after inhaling smoke.”
The fire service yesterday said a cooker fire had sparked the blaze.
A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “A 50-year-old woman was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.”
Yesterday a neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “It was a bit of a shock to see the fire service coming here in the middle of the night.
“The main thing is no one was badly injured. It did not spread to other houses.”
Firefighters were also called to assist after a horse had its leg stuck in a horsebox.
One appliance from Chester and the animal rescue unit from Bollington released the horse on the A540 at Saughall shortly after 1pm yesterday.