A FIRE that ripped through a home and killed a pensioner has shocked a community.
Peter William Bratby, who has been described by one neighbour as a “lovely man” died in his home on Beverley Drive two weeks ago.
Mayor of Prestatyn, Councillor Anton Sampson described the last couple of months as being heartbreaking for the town, as this was the second fatal house fire within a month.
“On behalf of Prestatyn Town Council, and the people of Prestatyn I would like to offer my condolences to Mr Bratby’s family and friends.
“It has been a very sobering and heartbreaking couple of months for the town.”
Mr Bratby, 71, who lived alone, died of smoke inhalation a postmortem has determined.
Davina Garnett, who lives opposite the property said she watched on in horror as the fire destroyed the bungalow at around 10pm on November 26.
“I couldn’t believe how fast it went up - it was upsetting to see,” she said.
“I could even feel the smoke in the back of my throat - so he wouldn’t have stood a chance on his own - it was horrendous.
“He was a lovely man who kept himself to himself and I’m sorry he’s gone.”
Harry Dickens, also of Beverley Drive, said he was concerned for the family next door to the property.
“I thought of them straight away - the fire has damaged their home and they have had to move out,” he said.
“It was horrendous - the firemen struggled to get into the property.
“The flames were coming out of the roof.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue crews from Rhyl and Prestatyn attended the scene and found Mr Bratby inside after entering the bungalow.
An inquest into his death will take place at a later date.
North Wales Police is not treating the incident as suspicious.