A FAMILY has been left distraught after their cat died after a suspected anti-freeze poisoning.
Fourteen-month-old Rosie died after falling ill near her home in Glan Morfa, Towyn leaving owners Danielle Crew, aged 19, brother Christopher, seven, and mum Paula, devastated.
“She was like part of the family,” said former Ysgol Emrys ap Iwan pupil Danielle.
“Rosie came in and she was limping. We took her to the vet and they thought she was fine because she hadn't been sick.
“Hours later she was being sick constantly, her eyes had gone white and her tongue was hanging out.
“Because she had survived so long they thought it was hopeful, but her kidneys failed and she passed away in her sleep.”
They family had Rosie since she was six weeks old and are now keeping a close eye on 12-year-old Sox fearing he may also be poisoned.
“It causes a lot of pain. It is the not knowing who it is and why they would do it. She was such a baby. She kept very close to the house.”
Danielle, who works at Winkups Holiday Park, said a resident of Sandbank Road had lost two cats to poisoning in the last three months.
Caerwys Veterinary Surgery told the family Rosie's symptoms pointed to anti-freeze poisoning.
Danielle added: “I am calling on other cat owners to be vigilant and if they notice any of the symptoms to go to the vet as soon as possible, the first hours are the most crucial.
“Having to explain to my brother what had happened to his cat was devastating."
RSPCA officer Mike Pugh said: “We have been contacted by a pet owner in Towyn to say they had taken their cat to the vets after being poisoned.
“Anyone who is aware of any incidents should contact the RSPCA.
“Sometimes it is accidently disguarded by somebody other times someone is placing it down to get rid of cats in the area.”
You can contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234999.