A FOUR-year-old boy from Rhyl missed the chance of a first day at school because of an admissions form blunder.
Christine Miller, the mother of Callum Clews, was in shock when she was told that the form she handed in to Christchurch Primary School in January had been lost.
For six months, she said she believed Callum would be joining his friends in the reception class at the school where he had already spent 12 months in the nursery.
Denbighshire Council said the application was not recieved until June and Callum was offered a place at his second preference school, Ysgol Dewi Sant.
Miss Miller, who said she has been forced to take time off work due to the situation, said: “I handed the form into the school in January and they didn’t tell me he didn’t have a place until June.
“Someone at the council told me over the phone that he had a place in Dewi Sant - but when I went there to meet the headmaster on September 5 he told me that he had no confirmation of this.
“I was absolutely gobsmacked.
“I had already bought the Dewi Sant uniform as well because I thought he would be going there the next day.
“I have now been told that there is a place for him in Llewelyn - I just want to get him into a school asap because I don’t want him to miss out.”
A spokeswoman for Denbighshire Council said at the time the form was received, there were no places available in Christchurch and the application was refused, with the option to go to appeal.
“We did not receive a letter of appeal from the parents so the case was not heard,” she said
“The child was offered a place at Ysgol Dewi Sant.
“The parents contacted us last week to change the preference to Ysgol Llewelyn and the child has been offered a place there.
“Our understanding is that the parents have accepted.”
This summer seven children, who were also denied a place in Christchurch’s reception classes due to a mix-up over admissions forms, won a second appeal and secured places at the school.