A DISABLED landlord entered a burning house in Bodelwyddan to save his lodger.
Mark Thomas, aged 48, of Ffordd Terfyn, was woken up in the early hours of August 31 by a friend saying the kitchen was on fire.
Jeremy Holson, aged 42, of the same address, discovered the fire, caused by an unattended chip pan, before alerting the other six people in the property.
Once outside, Mr Thomas noticed one of the tenants Paul Huby, aged 52, was still inside.
“We did a quick count up and I realised Paul was still asleep in bed,” he said.
“I just charged back into the house - at that moment I wasn’t even bothered about my own safety.
“I grabbed him and carried him out the house.”
Mr Huby said: “I was fast asleep - Mark saved my life.
Mr Thomas, who suffers with Addison’s disease, praised Mr Holson for alerting everyone about the blaze.
“Jeremy saved our lives,” he said.
“I would also like to thank the fire service for their fantastic response.”
Mr Holson said, minutes before he realised the house was on fire he joked with his girlfriend that ‘someone can’t cook’.
“I opened the bedroom door and the upstairs was full of smoke,” he said.
“I started shouting that there was a fire and for everyone to get out quickly.
“I walked down the stairs and I was shocked to see the kitchen on fire.”
A spokeswoman for North Wales Fire and Rescue said they were called out to the kitchen fire at 1.27am.
“The fire was caused by an unattended chip pan,” she said.
“There were seven people evacuated from the house and there was one casualty, but he did not attend hospital.”