A FATHER was horrified when is two-year-old daughter came within inches of a used needle as she fed the ducks at Brickfield Pond.
Lee Kelly, of Rhyl, said that in the corner of his eye he saw her go to pick something and received a massive shock when he realised it was a used syringe.
Mr Kelly was disgusted at finding needles, empty syringe packets and a syringe box at the popular fishing spot.
“It is a major concern because people bring their children here to feed the ducks and a lot of people come here to fish,” he said.
“I think this is one of the nicest parts of Rhyl, and for something like this to be going on is disgusting.”
Anthony Davies, head bailiff at the pond, said he had found a lot of used hypodermic needles over the past week.
“I am really concerned because you have got a lot of children who play around the pond,” he said. “It is extremely dangerous.
“I am also worried that the users are prostituting themselves, because I have also discovered a lot of used condoms.”
Mr Davies said he asked for the pond to be closed off to the public, and for the council to come and give it a full inspection.
“We have had to clear up all the mess,” he said.
“We have just received a grant to help us teach children how to fish, but we don’t want to do that with needles lying around.”
An Environmental Health officer was called to the pond on Wednesday afternoon.
A spokeswoman for Denbighshire County Council, said: “Our staff visited the site last week after receiving reports that needles had been discarded.
“They found unused syringes still in their wrapping and disposed of them carefully and immediately.
“We would strongly urge any individual never to dispose of their used or unused needles in a careless manner, but to use the safe facilities already in place.
“Our staff always remain vigilant and will prioritise the removal of syringes as quickly as possible.”