CONWY Council planners have repeated their pledge to re-develop Colwyn Bay Market Hall.
A report presented to the council’s communities overview and scrutiny committee recently reiterated its aim for the future development of the hall on Princes Drive.
Principal conservation officer Peter Jones-Hughes, stated: “This is an important site currently consisting of a range of dilapidated buildings in a strategic location in Colwyn Bay from detracting from the general townscape.”
The brief, which is the first step in finding a possible developer for the site, did however acknowledge the need for an appropriate development.
It stated: “An unsuitable development will have a significant impact on the area and could adversely affect the future regeneration of the town.
“The objective is to achieve a sensitive and high quality redevelopment that compliments these listed buildings and their settings that also preserves and if possible enhances the adjacent conservation areas.”
The hall was constructed between 1919 and 1939 and became Colwyn Bay’s indoor market until it closed in the 1980’s.